Register for 7th Annual A.L.E.R.T. Law Enforcement Challenge
October 3, 2018 Event Features New Challenging Course
The Wisconsin County Mutual Insurance Corporation and Community Insurance Corporation will hold their 7th Annual Advanced Law Enforcement Risk Training (A.L.E.R.T.) Law Enforcement Challenge on October 3, 2018 in Portage County at the Portage County Sheriff's Department Rifle Range.
Watch a video of the new course for the 2018 A.L.E.R.T. Law Enforcement Challenge!
New Rules and Course!
The 2018 event has new rules and a new course, including:
- Mandatory course instruction for ALL COMPETITORS will run 9:00AM to 9:30AM. If competitor fails to attend the mandatory course instruction, WILL NOT compete.
- Competition will begin 9:30AM rain or shine.
- Competitor will run 200 yards with their rifle of choice and then shoot his/her service pistol 3 times while standing at 25 yards, then advance to the next target at 10 yards while reloading.
- Competitor will then fire 3 times while standing and again advance the next target at 5 yards while reloading.
- Competitor will then fire 3 times while standing at the target with his/her non-dominant/weak hand unsupported. Once competitor has attained a lock back with his/her service pistol, competitor will holster service pistol.
- Competitor's rifle will be on his/her person while shooting his/her service pistol either with a sling or by holding same. At no time will competitor be allowed to place rifle on the ground while shooting the service pistol.
- Should competitor fail to fire the last 3 rounds at 3 yards with competitor's weak hand, those points WILL NOT be scored and you will not be allowed to rerun the course.
- Competitor will then run an additional 50 yards with his/her rifle.
- The last 25 yards competitor will drag a 150-pound dummy to cover.
- Cover will be a 4-foot wall.
- Competitor will then fire his/her rifle 3 times from a shooting position of their choice from the right side of the wall using the wall for cover and then reload a second magazine and shoot 3 times from the left side of the wall again using the wall for cover. There will be 2 targets down range at seventy yards.
- A magazine for competitor's rifle will be staged on the left side of the wall prior to the competition. Competitor must place 3 rounds in each target. Should competitor become confused and place 6 rounds in one target the best 3 shots will be scored. Competitor MAY NOT fire their rifle using the top of the wall.
- Competitor may use a bipod, shooting stick or any other rest to shoot. However competitor must run with these items during competition. Competitor while running will have his/her rifle with a magazine loaded with three rounds of ammunition in the magazine well, chamber empty, safety on.
2018 Point System:
- 100 Points to complete course in 60 seconds or less. For every second over 60 a point will be deducted.
- 150 Points total for shooting. Maximum point per shot 10.Total shot's fired 15.
Total overall points 250
- All competitor's will wear a bullet proof vest when competing.
- Attire will be competitor's discretion. Uniform not required.
- No footwear with cleats will be allowed.
- Handgun must be holstered. Duty belt not required.
- Competitor will have 3 magazines or 3 speed loaders with 3 rounds of ammunition in each. Handgun must be primary duty weapon optics optional.
- Caliber of handgun must be suitable for law enforcement.
- Rifle must be 22 caliber center fire or larger. Suppressor, bipods, shooting sticks and slings as well as any other rest are allowed. Please make note that the competitor must run with any rest he/she intends to use as well as shoot his/her handgun during competition without placing same on the ground. Competitor's rifle will be in his/her possession during competition.
- Competitor will also have 2 magazines with 3 rounds of ammunition in each magazine.
- Targets are from Qualification Target, Hammond,WI and may be viewed online.
- Target is a BT5-OPD The 10 point portion of the target will remain 10 points. The 9 point portion will be 10 points. The 8 point portion of the target has been reduced to 5 points. All other remaining portions will be 2 points.
- Competitor WILL NOT compete in the order that they register. Competitor's name will be placed in a hat and drawn to determine the order in which he/she will compete.
- Competitor must be a client of Wisconsin County Mutual Insurance Corporation or Community Insurance Corporation.
- Only ONE competitor per department. However, there is no limit to attendees for the day from a department.
- Lunch will be provided.
2018 Departmental and Individual Prizes
Winners and their departments will receive the following:
Top Five Departments
- First place: $10,000
- Second place: $8,000
- Third Place: $6,000
- Fourth Place: $4,000
- Fifth Place: $2,000
Top Five Competitors: (Visa gift cards will be awarded to winners)
- First place: $1,200
- Second place: $1,000
- Third Place: $800
- Fourth Place: $600
- Fifth Place:$400
- First Place: Deputy Robert Wanta, Portage County Sheriff's Office
- Second Place: Sergeant Eric Hartwig, Iowa County Sheriff's Office
- Third Place: Deputy Mark Ohmstead, Rusk County Sheriff's Office
- Fourth Place: Sergeant Kevin Deeren, Trempealeau County Sheriff's Office
- Fifth Place: Chief Deputy Alex Walrath, Forest County Sheriff's Office
To register for the 2018 A.L.E.R.T. Law Enforcement Challenge or if you have questions, contact Bruce Scott of Aegis Corporation at 414.491.1656.
The A.L.E.R.T. Law Enforcement challenge is FREE to member law enforcement departments of the County Mutual and Community Insurance Corporation. In addition, sheriffs, chief deputies, firearms training officers, and law enforcement committee members, as well as chiefs, assistant chiefs, training officers and public safety committee/commission members are encouraged to attend.
The event is brought to you by both the Wisconsin County Mutual Insurance Corporation and Community Insurance Corporation.